11/19/2012

A journey to the dark side

Today I'm going to talk about the villains of Young Fighters. One of my friends asked me how I create my villains and I think it's a very interesting question to answer.

Creating a villain is a difficult and interesting task. When you create an evil character you have to take a journey to the unknown, to a world that can't be explained by sense. It's a journey to a foreign land where everything is possible.

The more I've read the more often I've noticed how important it is to explain reader, why and how the character became bad. It's important to tell why an ordinary person has become a monster. To make readers understand why there's evil in the book writers have to lead their readers into the villain's mind.

When I've been thinking about the villains of Young Fighters and planned their life stories, I've tried to find the reasons for their action. I say find because I think I have to get to know my characters the way I get to know real people. Writing a character into a story is a process: I don't know everything about my characters yet. I have investigated their personalities piece by piece and developed a strange, extraordinary past for all of them - I can't wait writing the scenes that show the events that made them who they are today.

Another important thing is to think how bad the villain is. I've spent tens of hours thinking of how should I describe the evil. The villains play a big role in Young Fighters series so it's crucial that they are strong and really different, really bad. A "dork" villain wouldn't be believable. It's a challenge to make people see the evil in little things - to make them recognize the bad guy without saying it. Dialogue is one way to make a difference between a villain and a good character. I have written, for example, a dialogue between Amy and the leader of the criminal organization that is trying to get the computer chip.

It's also challenging to describe feelings that you haven't had. Villains can hate something or someone, they can be resentful, in their world love isn't real... They have really complicated personalities which makes the description difficult. It's important to make readers see the whole picture at right speed. I think you shouldn't tell everything about a villain straight away - readers need time to think of the things the villain has said and done. I want to give my readers chance to use their head.

There are many villains in Young Fighters, who have different motives and different goals. They all are Amy's enemies but they want to harm her from different grounds. There is the leader of the criminal organization who makes Amy's life a real mess. There is a girl who has hated Amy from the first sight. In Young Fighters you will also meet a serial killer.

Here's few thoughts about the villains. Feel free to ask if there's something you'd like to know about Young Fighters or about the writing process! Hope you enjoy to songs I linked: they are from Daughtry's first and second albums and they're called All these lives and What have we become.












2 comments:

  1. "It's important to tell why an ordinary person has become a monster."

    This is a great piece of writing advice. It all comes down to believability. A simple question to ask your antagonist is: "What's in it for you?"

    Thanks for the video links! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've noticed that I like more those books that make me understand the evil than those that don't give answers to my questions.

    You're welcome! :) I'm listening to the Crowded house song you linked, it sounds good!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Leave a comment - I'd love to hear from you and your thoughts!