11/26/2012

About the writing process: The first writing year

It's a month to my deadline. Wow. I'm not going to worry about it: I'll write everyday and see where it takes me. I'll try to finish my novel the day I've planned, but if I can't I'll do it in January.

December 27 I'll be on my way to Tenerife, where the first book is partly set. This will be my second visit in Tenerife and I'm really excited about it. It's going to be amazing to see the places I've used in Young Fighters.


Today I'll tell you about the writing process of the first Young Fighters novel. It's been a long way to get here and I think it's good to give you some information about it.

I could say there has been four periods in my writing process. Period number one was the first writing year. Second period was from summer 2005 to summer 2008, third was the three years I went in upper secondary school and the 4th begun in summer 2011 and still goes on. They're all quite different so I'll write a post about them all.

During the first writing year I mostly made plans for characters and their lives. I wrote short texts about the protagonist and her friends. I decided to write in the first person - it felt right from the start and made the story more real. I made plans for the plot and wrote few versions of the first chapter.

I also thought of the computer chip and the reasons why someone would like to use it to disturb peace. The first antagonist started to visit my mind often, but I didn't write anything about him yet. I focused on the main plot issues because I had no idea how big story I was creating.

Because I was so young, I didn't take the writing so seriously. I wrote because it was fun. I had no deadlines, no regular writing time. It was easy and enjoyable. It took me the whole year to understand that I was writing a book - after finding that out I was stunned. My ideas started to  grow, my characters started to feel much more alive. Suddenly I realized I wanted to write the book. 

I think the first period ended when I understood what I wanted to do. But want happened the next writing year? That will be the topic soon!

Here's Daughtry song for today. It's from their newest album!



6 comments:

  1. Writing usually does start out as something we do just for fun. Then we get addicted and want more. That's when we seek publication.

    Looking forward to hearing more about your book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. The more I write the more I want to write.

      Glad to hear that!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like your on the right track! Good luck with your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew making an English version of your blog would be a good idea :) I'm glad other people are commenting now.

    It's very interesting to look at the different stages your novel has gone through. I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a good idea, so thank you for giving it! :)

      I'm glad to hear that! I will be thrilled the day when you can read it!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by! Leave a comment - I'd love to hear from you and your thoughts!