11/11/2012

Raised with Harry Potter

I have always loved reading. When I was a child, my Mom read to me almost every night and took me to a library every week. Sometimes I didn't have time to read all the books we took with us. I was surrounded by stories and enjoyed creating them - I created them already before I could even write. 

I can still remember the day when I realized I want to become a writer. I was eight years old and my friends were talking about Harry Potter all the time. One day I decided to stop by a small library that located in the same building as our school and start to read Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone. I found it quickly, and soon I was sitting at the table. I looked at the book for a while and then started to read.

I had never had that kind of experience. Harry's story amazed me. I had read only a few pages and I already loved Rowling's writing style. I loved the characters, I loved the story, I loved Hogwards. The whole world was fascinating and couldn't be compared to anything I had read before. If I could write a book that made someone feel this way, I would be the happiest writer in the world, I thought. That was the moment I knew I wanted to write a book. I had no idea when I would start but I knew I would do it. It felt like my whole world had changed. Today I think that my life really changed that day.

I took Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone home with me and read it in few days. I started to read the next book as soon as I got my hands on it. I raised with Harry and thought of writing more and more each day. That was how I got interested in book series. Suddenly I was eleven and had the idea of Young Fighters. I think that journey with Harry and his story was also a journey from wanting to write to writing

The Potter series will always have a place in my heart. The books have made me laugh, they have made me cry. I've learned a lot about life and writing because of them. Every time I read one of the Potter books I remember why I write - I remember what I want to give my readers. J.K.Rowling is the best. I wish I could tell her how much inspiration she has given me during the years I've written Young Fighters.


So this is how I found my dream. Now I'll add few words in my novel. My goal for today is about 600 words.

Here is a song by my favorite band, Daughtry. It inspires me now - or should  I say again. Amy is feeling her life a bit supernatural right now.







2 comments:

  1. I loved reading this blog post about Harry Potter and how it inspired you to write your own story. It really is a fantastic series.

    I noticed the word count section you made. That's a great idea, because you can always refer back to it on the days when you maybe haven't written as much as you wanted. I can be a great source of inspiration to see how everything adds up bit by bit.

    Thanks for the link to Daughtry! I hadn't heard of them before!

    Since I live in Tokyo, sometimes I want to listen to songs from Australia, where I was born and raised. Recently I have been listening to Crowded House. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9gKyRmic20

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it! I love Harry Potter series so much. I read the books every year.

    That's true. It's been interesting to notice how days differ from each other.

    Daughtry is such a great band! I'll link their songs more in the future.

    Thanks for the link! It's always inspiring to listen to something new!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Leave a comment - I'd love to hear from you and your thoughts!