12/18/2012

Grown up story

In this post I'll answer two questions asked by Virtuefiction. I copy a part of the comment here so you see what I'm going to talk about:

Reading about the history of your writing makes me think that you must have changed a lot as a person during these years of your life. What kind of effect did this have on your novel, and how different is the early draft compared to what you have now?


Yes, I really changed a lot as a person during the second period of writing Young Fighters. My life changed first, then was my turn. In summer 2005 we moved from Lappeenranta to Helsinki, which was a huge change for a twelve-year-old girl - especially because Helsinki is so much bigger place than Lappeenranta and people are really different in Helsinki compared to those I know in Lapppeenranta. Here's one example of the differences between these two cities: in Lappeenranta I went a school where everyone knew each other. When I came to my new school in Helsinki I noticed that the people from other classes didn't know my classmates. It was so weird at first. Everything was new, which was inspiring and a bit terrifying. I used to live on an island surrounded by the lake Saimaa, and suddenly I lived in the capital of Finland and saw the sea almost every time I visited the center of Helsinki.


Leaving my old friends really made me appreciate them even more I already did, which had an effect to my characters. Friendship became one of the main themes in Young Fighters. I've been lucky to have so many good friends, so I wanted to give my characters good friends too. 

Making new friends gave me new ideas: I created new characters and got deeper into the characters' personality. I figures out events from their past, thought of their future and learned to know them much better. When I got stronger, the characters got stronger. All the changes in my life also gave me chance to write about things I couldn't write before (for example how it feels to lose someone who was really important to you) because I really didn't know how the things feel like. I could say there's much more drama in my novel now.

The early draft is very different compared to what I'm writing now. The plot has changed a lot since a had the first idea of Young Fighters. I've removed many scenes from the first draft and created new scenes that fit the story better. I also have changed the order of the events and decided to write some of my old ideas to the sequel. 

Another difference is that in the early draft was only one antagonist with his group. In the new draft there are four of them. It's one of the best changes I've made, I think, and I can't wait to write about their history.

The first draft is also much shorter, about 45,000 words. The newest draft contains new characters, new relationships, new details, new events... The basic idea and the story line is the same, but it's more detailed and much more developed in the version I have now.

Hope you got some interesting information. Questions and comments are welcome, as always!

2 comments:

  1. True about friendships. I think once we lose them, like in your case you moved away, we realise how important they are. It's great that you use your life experiences to create wonderful characters. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. I think using life experiences in writing turns them something better. Once you've learned something an used it in writing, you can make others learn the same thing. :)

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by! Leave a comment - I'd love to hear from you and your thoughts!