1/20/2013

About the writing process part three: A rollercoaster called writing

For those who don't know: I've written two posts about the writing history of Young Fighters and this is the third. You find the two texts here: About the writing process part 1 and About the writing process part 2

Third period of Young Fighters lasted from autumn 2008 to autumn 2011: three years of upper secondary school (Finnish high school) and about four months after graduation. It was hard time for writing because I had so many things to do and a lot of people who needed my time. It was very inspiring time, but it was also time of struggling. One day my words were flying, next day I couldn't write anything.

Writing a novel is always like a rollercoaster, but during those years I had the most serious problems with my writing. There were several months I couldn't write a word. It just didn't work. Every time I tried, my thoughts became a mess and I got frustrated. I wasn't able to concentrate. There were days I was really afraid of I would never finish the novel. That was terrible, but after getting through it I understood that the writer's blocks were caused by strong emotional issues that were developing in the first Young Fighters novel. I was getting deeper into the story and finding out how I should tell it. So I tried to give my ideas some time.

In the good times I had many of my best ideas for the sequel, and I can't wait to use them. Thinking of the second book was exciting and made me notice some parts in the first book that I have to clarify later. My writing wasn't regular: I often worked on the MS for a week or two like there was nothing else I could think of and then stop for a month. But when I wrote, the text was better than ever.

I also wrote the first drafts of few new chapters that are still in the manuscript and are waiting for editing. One of them is about Amy's first meeting with a serial killer who is yearning to kill her. The rest of them are connected to a new romance between two Amy's friends and to other emotional issues. Writing those chapters is one of the greatest writing experiences I've had. I wish to edit the chapters soon.

Later I'll post something about how my writing has felt this week. Hope this post gives you some interesting information about Young Fighters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! Leave a comment - I'd love to hear from you and your thoughts!