2/06/2013

Review: Touch of death by Kelly Hashway

Amazing cover, isn't it?
Title: Touch of death
Author: Kelly Hashway
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Release date: January 2013
Buy: Amazon, Amazon UK

* * *

Jodi Marshall isn't sure how she went from normal teenager to walking disaster. One minute she's in her junior year of high school, spending time with her amazing boyfriend and her best friend. The next she's being stalked by some guy no one seems to know.

After the stalker, Alex, reveals himself, Jodi learns he's not a normal teenager and neither is she. With a kiss that kills and a touch that brings the dead back to life, Jodi discovers she's part a branch of necromancers born under the 13th sign of the zodiac, Ophiuchus. A branch  of necromancers that are descendants of Medusa. A branch of necromancers with poisoned blood writhing in their veins.

Jodi's deadly to the living and even more deadly to the deceased. She has to leave her old, normal life behind before she hurts the people she loves. As if that isn't difficult enough, Jodi discovers she's the chosen one who has to save the rest of her kind from perishing at the hands of Hades. If she can't figure out how to control her her power, history will repeat itself, and her race will become extinct.


My thoughts:

I loved Touch of death from the first page.

The characters are interesting and they all have unique voices. Jodi's life goes from normal to dangerous, but she stays strong and doesn't let anything or anyone to break her down. It's really easy to relate to her feelings; they are so real. When I was reading Touch of death, I didn't only understand Jodi's feelings, I also felt the way she felt. Jodi also has a really good heart, which is one of the reasons I like her so much. I love Alex, too; he's mysterious and protective, and is always there for Jodi. I admire him for his patience and wish him all the best. I loved to see how Jodi begins to trust Alex and lets him in.

The plot is great throughout the novel. The beginning is really exciting and makes you wonder what is going on. All the things that happen to Jodi are so bizarre. There's no way you couldn't understand why Jodi is so afraid of Alex. The story gets better and better when Alex reveals himself and tells Jodi who she really is. Touch of death is a really surprising novel that made me hold my breath so many times that I can't even count them. Every time you try to figure out what would possibly happen next, it shows you something you didn't expect. The storyline works perfectly: this is a book you just can't put down.

I love the way Kelly Hashway describes Jodi's powers and the effects they have on people. The things Jodi learns about herself and the ways her powers work are really fascinating and described with vivid language that makes your heart beat faster after every page. Hashway has built a deep, fascinating world that contains   many secrets, an interesting take to mythology and the most fascinating - and heartbreaking - descriptions of zombies I've ever read or seen.

This novel gave me inspiration that leads my thoughts to the right track every time I think of it. Touch of death makes me want to write. It's definitely a brilliant book that will stay on your mind for a long time. Needless to say that I can't wait to read the sequel, Stalked by death!

Touch of death is a convincing start for a series. It shows the difficult parts of being teenager, deals with family issues and dating issues, and also reminds of hope. I love the fact that Jodi isn't alone in her darkest hour. Touch of death gives space to character development and makes a reader want more. If you love YA  and paranormal and are interested in Greek mythology, you should read this book!

Five stars out of five!

13 comments:

  1. I can't tell you how much this means to me. I'm so sick right now and reading this brought happy tears to my eyes. I'm so happy that you loved Touch of Death and were able to jump into the story and the emotions of the characters. That's the best compliment I could ever get. Thank you so much! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it made you happy :) You're welcome <3 I hope you feel better soon!

      Delete
  2. great review - makes me want to read the book asap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad to hear that! :)

      Delete
  3. This one is on my shelf! Congrats again, Kelly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review. It reminds me of another book I've heard of through the blogosphere.

    Have you heard of Shatter Me, by Tahereh Mafi? In the story the protagonist can kill others by simply touching them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm glad you liked it.

      No, I haven't. Sounds interesting! I could check it out.

      Delete
    2. Funny you should mention Shatter Me. My book was pitched as Shatter Me meets the Walking Dead. :)

      Delete
  5. This cover is STUNNING! Your wonderful review definitely has me wanting to read this one. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and for that sweet comment - I love your blog, too!
    New follower :)
    A Belle's Tales

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really stunning! When I got my hands on the book I spend few minutes only looking at the cover and thinking "WOW". Thanks to you for stopping by, too! :)

      Delete
    2. I'm glad you like the cover. My cover designer did an amazing job with it.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by! Leave a comment - I'd love to hear from you and your thoughts!