4/03/2013

Review: Shadowlands by Kate Brian

Title: Shadowlands
Author: Kate Brian
Publisher: Hyperion
Published: 2012

* * * 

Rory Miller had one chance to fight back and she took it. Rory survived... and the serial killer who attacked her escaped. Now that infamous Steven Nell is on the loose, Rory must enter witness protection with her father and sister, Darcy, leaving their friends and family without so much as a good-bye.

Starting over in a new town with only each other is unimaginable for Rory and Darcy. They were inseparable as children, but they haven't gotten along for years. As the sisters settle in at Juniper Landing, a picturesque vacation island, it seems as if their new home may be just the fresh start they need. They fall in with a group of beautiful, carefree teens and spend their days surfing, partying on the beach, and hiking into endless sunsets. But just as they start to feel safe, one of their new friends goes.  Is it a coincidence? Or is the nightmare beginning all over again?

* * *

"I opened my eyes, and my room came slowly into focus. Then I blinked. I could have sworn I'd left my bed unmade that morning. But now it was made with perfect hospital corners, the pillows neatly fluffed. And there, on my patchwork bedspread, was a single red rose.

For a moment, I wondered if Christopher had left it for me. A small note was tucked beneath the rose's  thorny stem. A ragged breath caught in my throat. On the card, printed in all-too-familiar capital letters and underlined three times, five ominous words: WE WILL BE TOGETHER. SOON."

* * *

When I heard of this book I thought it's made for me. I was more than right. Shadowlands really got under my skin and made my heart beat fast for a long time after I'd read it.

The beginning of the book was fabulous. It lead me straight to Rory's worst nightmare, so I could really feel how terrified she was when Steven Nell attacked her. The plot got only better from there. Juniper Landing was full of strange events and mysterious people, and Brian showed it perfectly. After every chapter I tried to guess what happens next, and I surprised every time. The book kept me guessing and shocked me in the end. The ending was absolutely amazing - I know I have to read the book again to put the pieces together.

I felt so sorry for Rory. Life with quite mean sister and introverted father isn't easy. I really loved the way Brian showed how different Rory and Darcy were and how unfair the situation was. The way the author describes their new friends is interesting and the place where they live highlights the chaos of Rory's life. I also loved the chapters that were written from Steven Nell's point of view. They were a huge plus and made the story even more scary.

The only thing that disturbed me was that  Rory's reactions and emotions were mostly described  physically, which made me feel that the descriptions repeated themselves a little bit. I'd liked to hear more about Rory's thoughts.

Shadowlands is an interesting, original novel that I recommend everyone. It's definitely one of the best books I've read.

My rating: 4,5/5 stars


4 comments:

  1. Great cover and intriguing premise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the cover caught my eye immediately.

      Delete
  2. Fabulous review! You've definitely convinced me to add this one to my reading list! I love the sound of it! Thanks so much for sharing and for stopping by <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Leave a comment - I'd love to hear from you and your thoughts!