7/10/2013

Review: Changed by Rose J.Bell

In a world where hunters and angels reign, war is a daily occurrence and one girl is destined to save them all.

After a brutal murder of her father, Rosa Petrova has dedicated her life to the eradication of angels and the revenge of her father's death. With a gift of fight, she becomes one of the fastest, deadliest and greatest hunters in the world.

As Rosa hunts down who causes her farther's death, two Nephilim, the children and warriors of the archangel, appear in Boston. Rosa has to find out why a Nephilim named Jason and his friends risk their lives in a city full of their enemies where they could be killed.

Not knowing if she should follow her heart or the hunter's code  she has known all her life, she is forced to make a dangerous decision that could change her life forever. Through all the chaos around her, she finds herself falling in love with the one person she is forbidden to love. And this love could kill her...


My thoughts:

Changed is a book that really filled my head with thoughts. There are so many things to mention that I don't know how to put them all in a review. But I'll try anyway, because they all are worth mentioning.

I'll talk about the characters first. I was surprised by how many characters there were in this novel. I think the author handled it very well:  the characters felt real, they all had their place in the story and their personal development was enjoyable to read about. One of the best things in this book was that the characters got nothing too easily.

I absolutely loved Rosa. She's strong, clever, independent and such a great fighter. It's not easy to be a hunter, though. She has lost her father and there's only few people she can truly rely on. Her job is to kill shadow creatures such as vampire, mermaids and Nephilim, the children and warriors of the archangel. Rosa has always obeyed the rules of the hunter clan and is so used to it that she has stopped fighting for her freedom. All these things have made her to hide her feelings - in the beginning she seems to be almost cold inside, but slowly I found out that she's also caring and loyal. One thing I loved about this book was to see how Rosa's life made her break the rules and showed the sides of her that I couldn't see right away. Rosa is very different from the other main characters I've met so far. It's a challenge - an enjoyable challenge  - to find a way the her soul.

Jason. Jason <3 There's no better way to say how I felt about him. I loved the way the author built his character. Jason is a Nephilim so Rosa considers him her enemy. That's the reason why I first couldn't stand him and later found myself loving him. He's not what he seems to be, and the reader is the first to know it. This makes the relationship between Rosa and Jason even more interesting: at the same time, you understand why Rosa doesn't like Jason (at first) and feel sorry for Jason, who's forced to hide his true personality.

Few words about the world building and setting. Rosa's world is cruel and full of paranormal creatures: vampires, mermaids, angels, Nephilim... Again, the author knows what she does. I loved the combination of ordinary problems and the problem's only hunters have in their life. I enjoyed the description of the hunter clan and the powers that hunters have, for example how their body reacted every time they touched a Nephilim. It was interesting that humans knew about hunters, angels and shadow creatures (for example mermaids) - the war between hunters and angels was a part of every day life and humans suffered because of it. Another interesting fact was that angels didn't care about humans at all. This novel really gives a new meaning for the word 'angel'.

The plot of the book is also great. There's a balance between fast and slow pacing, which is an achievement in a story like this. Rosa's world is somehow simple and very complicated at the same time. Changed contains surprising twists, swoon worthy moments between Rosa and Jason, and exciting fighting scenes. This novel made my heart beat fast! To me, the events and the feelings the author described told something important about relationships and motives behind our actions. I think Rosa and Jason had feelings that many readers can relate to. I really enjoyed reading Changed and I can't wait to read the next book in the series.

My rating: 4,5 stars

Thank you, Rose, for this review copy!

4 comments:

  1. Great review. This sounds like a really good book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I loved this one.

      Delete
  2. This is completely new to me, but I like the sound of it! Rosa and Jason sound like characters worth meeting. Thanks for sharing, and brilliant review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) There's something fresh in this story that I really enjoyed.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by! Leave a comment - I'd love to hear from you and your thoughts!