8/08/2013

In a black notebook

I was at work when I suddenly had an idea how to write a difficult scene. I realized I'd forgotten to take a notebook with me, so I had to write my thoughts on a little piece of paper. This happened few weeks ago and made me think of what I've written in the thick, black notebook I usually carry with me.

I've made a lot of notes during the writing process. I scanned through the pages and found two plans for the plot (the first one I made last year and the newest is the one I follow now) and few for chapters that have been difficult to write. I've put down some sentences, ideas, paragraphs and important details that I'm afraid to forget: for example new information of the characters.

There were some surprises in the notebook, too. I didn't remember how much I had written about the progress of my novel - word counts, page counts, plot holes... I also saw notes of a new story I'm slowly planning.

I do all this because it's impossible to remember everything. Especially when you're writing a series there are many details that affect the future of the characters and play a special role in the story. The notes are also great memories that help you to share your writing process with others.

Questions for you: What kind of notes do you make when you write a novel? Do you make notes at all? And if you could choose an author who's notes you'd like to read, who would you pick?




5 comments:

  1. I make all kinds of notes. Dialogues. Especially dialogues. I realised if I don't write them, I foreget them, or worse, they lose that Special something in them. Hmm let's see.. I have so many author's I'd love to get a sneak peek of their notes. Nalini Singh, Cassandra Clare...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dialogues, I could try it sometimes. Yeah, it's hard to choose!

      Delete
  2. For me, it depends on the book. For Touch of Death, I had 24 pages of notes before I started writing the book. Other manuscripts only have about 9 pages of notes. And those notes vary. Some are plot notes, some are dialogue clips, and others are character sketches. So I guess I jot down whatever comes to me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a writer, but I imagine if I was, writing notes would have to be a necessary for me. My memory is awful and there would be so much to keep track of.

    Good question! I would love to read J.K. Rowling's notes. I bet they would be brilliant. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to read her notes, too! :) A book with a title 'How I created Harry Potter' would be cool

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by! Leave a comment - I'd love to hear from you and your thoughts!